Ear surgery - also referred to as otoplasty - is a corrective cosmetic surgery which typically involves the plastic surgeon reshaping or resizing your ear.
This safe and simple surgery uses minor incisions to alter the structure of the ear into the desired shape and position to restore a more harmonious balance to your facial features.
Ear surgery, when performed by an experienced plastic surgeon, can have a dramatic impact on a person’s appearance, confidence and quality of life and is extremely popular among adults and children alike.
How is Ear Surgery Performed?
An otoplasty for an older child or adult can be performed under local anesthetic by a plastic surgeon and generally involves:
- Making a small cut behind the ear to expose the ear cartilage
- Removing small pieces of cartilage if necessary
- Scoring and stitching the remaining structure into the desired shape and position
Because ears are a very prominent feature, many cosmetic ear surgery patients experience a significant increase in confidence and self-esteem once their ears have been given a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
When Should I Consider Ear Surgery?
Plastic surgeons often recommend ear surgery to patients who:
- Are unhappy with the position of their ears
- Want to hold back protruding ears
- Want to correct a defect in the ear structure
- Need treatment for a misshapen ear, caused by injury
Depending on your particular aesthetic goals, your plastic surgeon may also suggest the otoplasty be done in combination with other facial plastic surgeries such as a rhinoplasty (nose job.)
REMEMBER: Even though ear surgery is one of the least complex procedures, it’s important to ensure you work with a board-certified plastic surgeon for the safest, most satisfying results.
Am I a Good Candidate For Ear Surgery?
Ear surgery carried out by a qualified plastic surgeon can benefit patients of all ages. The best candidates are those who are:
- Physically healthy
- Free of any serious medical conditions
- Realistic about the outcome of the surgery
Before opting for ear surgery, it’s important to book a pre-surgical consultation with one of our surgeons. They can help determine whether or not you are a suitable candidate for an otoplasty.